Priceville High School Comprehensive Counseling and Guidance Program
The mission of Priceville High School’s Counseling and Guidance Program is to partner with the students, faculty, parents, and local community to facilitate success in the lives of each student in the areas of academics, career, and personal/social development. Students’ needs are met through educational and career planning, prevention, crisis intervention, and individual and group guidance and counseling.
The school counseloring will focus on the following achievement, attendance, and/or behavior goals this year:
- Educate students regarding the relationship between regular attendance and opportunities for success in academics and in employability. Reinforce through large group sessions on employability skills, including attendance, presented by local employers.
- Students will acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and in their life span.
- Based on their personal/post-secondary goals, students will develop a plan leading to attainment of one or more CCR (College and Career Readiness) Indicators.
Role of the School Counselor
The role of the school counselor is to partner with students, parents, administration, faulty, staff, and community resources to guide students’ academic, behavioral, and social growth so that they are ready for the next steps after high school and beyond.
- Classroom Visits/Large Group Sessions: These lessons follow the American School Counseling Association model and are presented in the classroom.
- Small Group Counseling: Small groups offer students the opportunity to share experiences with others, have support, and learn from students who are dealing with similar issues. Sessions are offered based on current needs of the student population.
- Individual Counseling: Brief, solution-focused, one-on-one counseling support is available to all students. Any student can request to meet with a counselor. Should the student need mental health counseling/long-term therapy, a list of community counseling resources is available.
- Consultations: The school counselors are available to meet with teachers, staff, and parents to discuss the needs of individual students.
A student may be referred to the counselors by any party, including but not limited to parents, administrators, faculty, or self.
Information shared by a student with a school counselor is confidential, except when the information shared indicates that the student and/or other persons are in danger or the student agrees that the information can be shared.
Equal Access for All Students
No student will be unlawfully excluded from receiving the services available through Priceville High School’s Counseling and Guidance Program on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, disability, creed, national origin, sex, immigrant or migrant status, non-English speaking ability, or homeless status.
Heather Stidham, Counselor (9th and 10th)
Phone: (256) 353-1950, Ext. 33012
Sonya Kennedy, Counselor (11th and 12th)
Phone: (256) 353-1950, Ext. 33004