Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Patrick E. Patterson
- Section High School, 1991
- Northeast Alabama State Community College, 1993
- Athens State College, B.S.ed, Secondary Education with a double major in English and History, 1996
- University of North Alabama, M.A.ed, Educational Leadership, 2001
- Samford University, Ed.S., Educational Leadership, 2010
I am originally from Section, Alabama, which is in Jackson County. My grandfather drove a school bus for 50 years in Jackson County, and my mother retired as a lunchroom manager at Dutton School after 25 years. I had many great teachers, but one stands out in my mind: Mrs. Geneva Presley. When I was assigned to her Third-grade remedial reading class, she decided there had been a mistake. She walked me to another class and told the teacher that I had been assigned to her class by mistake. I can still see her pointing that old, crooked finger at me and saying, "Boy, don't you let me down." When I face a challenge, I find strength from the image of that old, crooked finger.
While in college, I experienced my share of challenges. When my car broke down, I found myself with no way to drive back and forth to Athens State. Fortunately, I had a cousin who owned a junkyard. He took my car, installed a transmission, and accepted no pay. He told me that I could repay him by becoming a teacher and helping others see the importance and value of education.
- Austin High School, 1996 - 2002, 9-12 Social Studies Teacher, Head Boys' Soccer Coach. While at Austin, I was an assistant football coach at Cedar Ridge Middle School from 1998 - 2002.
- Brewer High School, 2002 - 2005, 10th and 12th Grade English Teacher, Head Boys' Soccer Coach, Assistant Football Coach.
- Brewer High School, 2005 - 2007, Assistant Principal and Athletic Director.
- Eva School Principal, 2007 - 2014
- Morgan County Board of Education, Director of Secondary Education, 2014 - present
My wife Jenny and I have two children: Kyle and Olivia
I started playing the banjo at age 20, and regret not playing at an earlier age. I love all kinds of music, but I listen mostly to bluegrass. I am an avid reader, with my focus on historical biographies. I have spent a lot of time researching my family history and enjoy genealogy. I really enjoy woodworking and spend a lot of time building custom furniture.