Central Office Organizational Chart

CLICK HERE to be directed to the MCS Central Office Organizational Chart.

 

 


MCS Demographics

Morgan County School System's student population flutates yearly between 7,800 to 8,000 students. 

 The Morgan County School system is proud to have 100% of its certified staff highly qualified.

 Total certified staff: 656   

 Bachelors degree: 232           Masters degree: 387        Specialists: 34       Doctorate: 3

 Support staff

Instructional Aides: 99      School Nurses: 16     Office Personnel: 36     Child Nutrition Workers: 101

Bus Drivers: 100               Bus Maintenance: 8     Custodians: 54         Maintenance: 17

 

 


Morgan County School System
Article Image

The Morgan County School System consists of 17 schools and an alternative school, The Morgan County Learning Center.  Five high schools, five junior high schools (K-8), three middle schools, and four elementary schools are located at a variety of communities throughout Morgan County. 

Morgan County's Central Office Campus is located at:

235 Highway 67 South
Decatur, Alabama 35603

 

 The phone number is 256-353-6442.


Morgan County Schools History

History of Morgan County Schools

 

Before Alabama became a state in 1819, Morgan County was already established. On February 6, 1818, Cotaco County was formed from the lands acquired from the Cherokee Indians by the Treaty of Turkeytown. Cotaco County was named after the Indian tribe that lived along the banks of the Cotaco Creek. Summerville (now Somerville) was the county seat for Cotaco County. On June 14, 1821, Cotaco County was renamed Morgan County after Brigadier General Daniel Morgan, one of the heroes of the Revolutionary War best known for his strategic victory at the Battle of Cow Pens.

In 1881 the county seat was moved to present day Decatur, named after Commodore Stephen Decatur, a hero of the War of 1812. One of the first schools in Morgan County was a one room school in Hartselle in 1868. Early records also document a Male and Female College in Hartselle in 1883, which is considered one of the best early colleges in North Alabama. In 1890, the Male and Female Institute of Moulton was moved to Danville. The school was ungraded from eight years of age to young men and women. In 1891, thirty-four students were admitted to this school. The faculty consisted of Dr. Josephus Shackleford, Professors Lila and John Tidwell (later a Morgan County Superintendent of Education). The building was destroyed by fire in December of 1898 and later moved to Trinity. There was also a Morgan County College created sometime after 1891 which was located in the old Morgan County Court House in Somerville. The college later became a military academy for a short time and then in 1855 the Somerville Female Academy was formed and remained open into the 1900's. The Falkville Normal College was founded by Professor J.B. Sherrill. The first annual catalogue of the Falkville Normal College bears the date of 1896-97. Classes for the Normal College began in the Masonic Lodge at Falkville and were later moved to the two story structure when construction was finished.

In 1907 the student enrollment in Morgan County was 3,907. There were seventy-five different school locations. In many communities there were two schools, one for Caucasian students and one for African-American students. The first county high school was legally named at Hartselle before the building could be constructed. Classes were held in the Hartselle College Building. In February 1910 classes were moved to the new building. In the early years, many honors were captured by the school in music, speaking, and debating. Enrollment records from 1927 document that 4,946 students attended sixty-six different schools in Morgan County. In 1928 the number of schools was reduced to forty-eight with an enrollment of 4,987. Schools continued to close and merge as some buildings were destroyed by fire and communities joined together in building larger structures with four or more rooms that would house more students and several teachers.

 

Superintendents of Morgan County Schools

Year

First Name

Last Name

1856 - 1858

Harrison M.

Welch

1858 - 1860

Thomas

Morrow

1860 - 1865

John F.

Turney

1865 - 1869

Thomas

Morrow

1869 - 1871

Christopher C.

Nesmith

1871 - 1874

Thomas

Morrow

1874 - 1877

William M.

Wood

1877 - 1888

Edward J.

Oden

1888 - 1890

Frank  J.

Troup

1890 - 1892

M. D.

Houk

1892 - 1894

W. H.

Windes

1894 - 1896

John C.

Tidwell

1896 - 1898

Henry T.

Lile

1898 - 1902

E. L.

Hayes

1902 - 1904

John C.

Tidwell

1904 - 1912

Phillip A.

Oden

1912 - 1920

John C.

Tidwell

1920 - 1931

E. L.

Hayes

1931 - 1939

George T.

Woodruff

1939 - 1943

I. J.

Quinn

1943 - 1947

S. O.

Maner

1947 - 1953

Hafford R.

Leeman

1953 - 1963

Lester E.

Wooten

1963 - 1971

J. C.

Pettey

1971 - 1975

George

Nancarrow

1975 - 1979

J.V.

Sailors

1979 - 1983

Truman

Screws

1983 - 1991

Wes

Thompson

1991 - 1995

Howard

Morris

1995 - 1997

Ferrell D.

Clemons

1997 - 1998

Carl

Wisener

1998 - 2006

Don W.

Murphy

2007 - 2010

Robert L.

Balch

2011 - present

Bill W.

Hopkins, Jr.


Morgan County Schools Mission
 
Every Child a Graduate. Every Graduate Prepared to Lead.

 

 


Morgan County Schools Vision
 
 
Morgan County Schools will provide opportunities for all students and employees to excel in learning, establish strong relationships and foster positive leadership.
 

 


Our Theme for 2015-2016
 
Connect