Policies and Procedures
News & Events
Hide other sections
It is the intent of the Morgan County Special Education Department to serve the special needs students in Morgan County in an efficient and timely manner. Each child is evaluated and an educational program developed to meet the individual needs of that student. The following information summarizes special services available in Morgan County:
It is the responsibility of the Morgan County School System to develop and implement procedures that ensure all children within its jurisdiction, three to twenty-one years of age, regardless of the severity of their disability and who needs special education and related services are identified, located and evaluated.
- Adaptive development
- Cognitive development
- Communication development
- Social and emotional development
- Physical development
- An inability to learn which cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory or health factors;
- An inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships with peers and teachers;
- Inappropriate types of behavior or feelings under normal circumstances;
- A general pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression;
- A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems .
- OTHER HEALTH IMPAIRED - Limited strength, vitality or alertness including a heightened alertness to environmental stimuli ,that results in limited alertness with respect to the educational environmental ,that is due to chronic or acute health problems. The impairment must adversely affect educational performance.
SPECIFIC LEARNING DISABILITY - A disorder in one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, which may manifest itself in the imperfect ability to listen, think, speak, read, write, spell, or to do mathematical calculations.
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE IMPAIRMENT - A communication disorder in the area of articulation, voice, language, or fluency, which adversely affects a child's educational performance.
TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY - An acquired injury to the brain caused by an external physical force, resulting in total or partial functional disability or psychosocial impairment or both, that adversely affects educational performance.